Tuesday, 28 April 2015

From practising: 'Ramen lappen' to a dollquilt finish!

This small quilt is made with cathedral windows pattern: 'Ramen lappen' as Supergoof calls it. She taught me how to make cathedral windows when I followed her workshop, I wrote about it here.

Before I would start something big I thought I'd better practice and make a dolls quilt, or better: a bear quilt for this French doll bed I showed earlier.

Practising really helps: I learned how to avoid 'ugly crossings' and make better round shapes. I already continued to work on my first cathedral windows piece, made with 'linen look' cotton, like I showed in my other post . At first I thought the  'linen look' fabric might not be suitable enough but I think it is okay now. I will be back to show the progress.
The doll quilt measures: 32cm by 32cm .

Have a nice week,


Monday, 20 April 2015

More turquoise and finishes

Two ceramic bowls made in a ceramic class, taught by Willie Wanders (no blog). Apart from sewing and quilting, I like working with clay very much as well.
The glazing in turquoise turned out really well. I loved it when they came out of the oven.

Only the inside is glazed. The bowls are very thin, made of paper clay (clay with pieces of paper in it; the paper pieces burn in the oven)

 On my turquoise/blue quilt  which I recently finished.

I finished this small bag a while ago.

First time I used a stud to close the bag.
It worked out really well.

Inside of the bag
May be you remember this bag (green and red one) I made? I showed it in this post
They bags are both from the same pattern by FacileCécile and look very different don't you think?


'Teckels (dachshunds) and bikes quilt' finished!

This quilt is all about strips, different width, mostly pink, grey, light blue and some red, bike fabric and dachshund fabric, all from my stash.

It took me a couple of days to machine quilt this big one. I wrote about making the top here . I didn't think it was that long ago I started this quilttop...so glad I finally decided to finish it!

 The binding, 9 meters(!) was cut on the diagonal because the stripes give a nice effect like this.

The quilt is washed and dried and I'm going to try to sleep under it tonight!!

The pattern is from this book . I like the weblog of Amanda Jean Nyberg (one of the writers) very much.

Some photo's are taken in the sun , like this one. The one on my bed, of course,ia taken inside the house and looks a bit less bright but the colours are looking real.

 And one of our real dachshunds, Lizzy, went with us yesterday, geocaching  in the forest at Soestduinen (located in my country,The Netherlands).

The sand was blown away under the roots of this tree, which made this strange tree stand on 'legs'. Just when I was about to make this picture, Lizzy walked into the 'frame'. Funny isn't it?

Facts about the quilt:
size: 2.35m by 2.15m
fabrics, backing and batting all 100% cotton
sewn and quilted by domestic sewing machine (my Pfaff 4.0 quiltexpression)

Have a great week!


Saturday, 18 April 2015

Spring quilt finished!

The result of using just squares set on point, was a very pleasant surprise to me. It was a joy to design and make.The inspiration came from the book: 'The gentle art of quilt-making' by Jane Brocket

size: 1.50m by 1.70m
fabrics and batting: 100 % cotton
some fabrics designers: Kaffe Fassett , Philip Jacobs ,Anna Maria Horner , Amy Butler for sale here at the Quiltboutique ,I bought the purple fabric with the vegetables at a stand at the Quiltshow ,Rijwijk  from Jobina de Boer
sewn by machine and hand quilted with pearl cotton number 8
pictures are not edited, just taken outside in and out of the sun

Have a creative weekend!!!



Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Medallion quilt finished!!!

This medallion quilt just started with the teddy bears square in the middle and grew bigger without a plan or pattern, round after round. So much fun to make!!!! My goal was to use up lots of old fabrics.
My hand made teddy bear is fitting right into this colour scheme ;)

Fabrics mostly from the 90's  with snowmen, 'wild' animals,

Dogs, melons, reproduction fabrics, points cut in different sizes like the liberated way of cutting and sewing Gwen Marston uses in her quilts.

Dachshunds (teckels we call them), Santa Claus (yes he too), Halloween fabrics (never knew what to do with them), lots of teddy bears,

 Old Debbie Mumm fabrics,

 Fits on my table too.

 The quilting is done with crocheting cotton nr 5 in big stitches,

 And the backing fabric,

The whole quilt measures: 1.80 m by 1.80 m.( about 70 inches by 70 inches) and has a very light weight batting.
I hope this will be the start of a lot of finishes to come this year!!!!!!!!!!!