Monday 13 June 2016

All my 1718 blocks assembled, top is ready!


This weekend I finished sewing my '1718 coverlet replica top'. I was very excited, happy and at the same time a bit melancholic that this was over. It sounds strange but sometimes I'm happy when a project is finished and another time it feels a bit sad to end 'a journey'. 

Last week I was busy finishing the last blocks, like these rabbits and geese.

Sewing all the blocks into big parts....

 Making the last corner blocks...

Finally it started to come together.....


My allotment is so overgrown....

There is not much space for laying out the top!

 Onto a bigger space...






Lizzy helped showing the top, as usual.



Now it is time to finish it. I wanted to make a coverlet as is the original one. The thing is I used so many different fabrics as linen, upholstery, old trousers (slacks) en skirts, Japanese woven fabrics, 50 % linen/50% silk, hand dyed fabrics by my friend Teri and many linen and scraps by Margret Behrends-Kohl , shot cottons, an antique striped sheet. All these differnt fabrics made the top heavy and vary in thickness. I don't want to leave it unquilted. This week I hope to find a backing fabric and make a quilt sandwich. To be continued!

If you want to try to make this coverlet yourself: you can find the book here;)

Groetjes
Annemieke








14 comments:

Karen said...

The animal blocks are my favorite part of the quilt.

Nifty Quilts said...

Oh wow! It's wonderful!!! It really glows with light and happiness. Your color palate and fabric selection are my favorite out of all that I've seen. You are inspiring me to get back to mine--someday. Bravo!!!

ineke said...

WoW wat is die mooi geworden. Zo kleurrijk en veel te zien. Veel plezier met quilten. (Is dat niet lastig met al die verschillende stoffen) Groetjes ineke

els said...

Wat een bijzondere quilt is het geworden! Succes met het quilten ervan, ik kijk uit naar het uiteindelijke resultaat.

Tilly said...

Wat is je quilt mooi geworden,complimenten.
Groetjes Tilly

Every Stitch said...

Spectacular! what a great achievement for you! I love the colours /fabrics you chose :)

Dawn said...

Wonderful color and I like that you have texture too.

Elizabeth said...

Ontzettend mooi! En wat een werk is dat geweest, maar dat tellen we maar niet hè bij onze hobby....
Je mag er met recht trots op zijn!

Phyllis said...

Wow! Wat een fantastische top! Echt helemaal geweldig, hier mag je met recht trots op zijn. Ik heb het boek ook, heel erg interessant maar denk niet dat ik er ooit aan toe kom deze te maken. Je stoffenkeuze is heel erg mooi, zou hem graag een keer in het echt zien (misschien op een tentoonstelling?) . Veel plezier met de volgende stap.

Willy said...

Je hebt deze prachtige quilt mooi in het zonnetje gezet. Veel plezier met het quilten ervan.

Sjoukje said...

Prachtig, heel bijzonder!

Lucy said...

Ik hoop hem snel in het echt te zien. Zo mooi!

Triniki said...

Impresionante!!!

Fabric Carolina said...

Find thousands of fabrics for home decorating, upholstery and apparel sewing projects in fabriccarolina.com
amistad ivory fabric