Monday, 13 June 2016

All my 1718 blocks assembled, top is ready!


This weekend I finished sewing my '1718 coverlet replica top'. I was very excited, happy and at the same time a bit melancholic that this was over. It sounds strange but sometimes I'm happy when a project is finished and another time it feels a bit sad to end 'a journey'. 

Last week I was busy finishing the last blocks, like these rabbits and geese.

Sewing all the blocks into big parts....

 Making the last corner blocks...

Finally it started to come together.....


My allotment is so overgrown....

There is not much space for laying out the top!

 Onto a bigger space...






Lizzy helped showing the top, as usual.



Now it is time to finish it. I wanted to make a coverlet as is the original one. The thing is I used so many different fabrics as linen, upholstery, old trousers (slacks) en skirts, Japanese woven fabrics, 50 % linen/50% silk, hand dyed fabrics by my friend Teri and many linen and scraps by Margret Behrends-Kohl , shot cottons, an antique striped sheet. All these differnt fabrics made the top heavy and vary in thickness. I don't want to leave it unquilted. This week I hope to find a backing fabric and make a quilt sandwich. To be continued!

If you want to try to make this coverlet yourself: you can find the book here;)

Groetjes
Annemieke